1.05.2012

{6 tips to toss, restore, organize ... }


Now I know you have probably been reading 'resolution' posts all over the blogosphere this week, but I just had to share a little something of my own. There are so many great and helpful lists and posts my fellow bloggers have put out there, especially in regards to clutter clearing. I particularly enjoyed Arianna's closet Do's & Don'ts post here, Nicole's closet re-do here and Meg's helpful tips posts here and here.


On that note, have you read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin? I read it this passed summer all in one go, and it is fantastic {a MUST read!}.


BUT I'm re-reading it now, as the book is actually divided into chapters for every month of the year. The idea is that each month, you attempt a different set of resolutions. For the first month, you attempt only January's resolutions; in February, you add the next set of resolutions to the January set, and so on.  I just finished January yesterday - which tackles physical and mental aspects of energy - and it's got me ready to GO! The topics at hand for this first month include: go to sleep earlier, exercise better, tackle a nagging task, act more energetic, and toss, restore, organize! Sounds simple enough but it's actually hard! However it's a perfect way to start the year as it will give energy to accomplish resolutions in the following months. And I love the idea of focusing on a few improvements at a time.

The one that gets me the most excited is toss, restore, organize. This is one of the MOST common resolutions, isn't it? Nothing feels better then a fresh & clean start, and household disorder can really drain our energy. Here are 6 fabulous tips I learned from The Happiness Project:



Categories include:

1. Nostalgic clutter - relics from our earlier lives that we cling to
2. Conservation clutter - things we keep because they are useful ... like those twenty-three glass florist shop vases ....
3. Freebie clutter - gifts, hand me downs, giveaways that we don't use
4. Crutch clutter - The things we use but know we shouldn't, like that comfy t-shirt with holes in it
5. Aspirational clutter - things we own but only aspire to use ... that glue gun or pair of super high heels
6. Buyers remorse clutter - rather than admit that we make a bad purchase, we hang on to something till we feel it's been 'used up' by sitting in the closet








There are too many wonderful tips in this book to share here, these are 6 that stuck with me and I wrote down in my notebook. I'll try to give a short high light of each month as I go along, but I definitely recommend grabbing a copy of your own. I'm excited to get started! I am always stunned by what a dramatic boost of mental & physical energy comes from purging, cleaning and organizing. Who knew that something so mundane could give such a rush? Will organizing be one of your resolutions this month?


41 comments:

Annie@A View On Design said...

I'm lovin these tips, tho not the 10min b4 bed clean-up one, that's probably not going to happen!! lol

modern jane said...

ugh.. this is so not my strong suit! I love organization but just don't ever know where to start!

Natalie {Designer Bags and Dirty Diapers} said...

Nancy these tips are awesome! I have to agree I am with everyone else jumping on the organization train for New Years. Just cleaned out our fridge and freezer yesterdat felt so good. I will most def be picking that book up today.

Designwali said...

Great tips...I must read that book!

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

This book seems like a must-have! I'll be picking up a copy today.
Thanks for sharing, Nancy!
~ Wendi ~

lisaroyhandbags said...

Awesome tips! I know that I've got every one of those categories of clutter! I do agree with the 10 minutes before bed - in my case just 5 minutes - it makes waking up in the morning much more pleasant when you don't have to see a mess first thing :)

Sketch42 said...

OH MY LORD! The types of clutter PERFECTLY describes exactly what I have hanging around my house! I can't even believe how accurate and dead on that was!

Karla said...

thanks for the wonderful tips.. i get going to my bedroom now to do what I can for 10 minutes! have a great day!

Vintage Home said...

Your last entry was adorable...love that tourquoise dresser in its nook!
This book seems to be a must read for me...thanks for the heads up!

Amber Interiors said...

I needed this today! Thanks for the hit of inspiration!
xo

Bradley said...

Thank you so much for this post! I have been wondering about this book and now I definitely want to read it. These are great tips!

Julie Khuu said...

Oh I LOVE this post! Can I simply not read the book and visit your blog every day for these tips?? Plus you lay it out in such a graphically attractive way I think it might be wayyyy more fun (and functional) than taking notes...That's it, I'm taking notes from this post and will letcha know how it goes :D Keep it up! *your newest follower*

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture.com

Michelle ~ Make Life Pretty said...

A friend of mine has been going on and on about this book for months now! If this is what the entire book is like, I can certainly see why she likes it so much!

Hannah said...

AMAZING. I am literally printing these off and posting them in my house. Thanks for sharing!

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I might have to get this book. All these pretty closets make me want to give mine a redo. I purge regularly but have a bad habit of taking too long to actually get the donations out of the house!

Sheila @SZInteriors said...

So many great tips, and I haven't even bought the book! But I just jotted it down on my recommended reading list :-) Thank you Nancy!

Organizing is definitely a resolution this month, and the office is my target... with a certain awesome print being my inspiration, jump-off, and ultimately, focal point! ;-)

Diane James Home said...

I love that you are posting about Gretchen's book as it is one of my favorite. All of her advice is wonderful and she has a great daily newsletter too. I've been following the 10-minute tidy up - before I leave for work and before bed - and it is very relaxing to come home/wake up to a tidy place. Thank you for recapping January for us, Cynthia

Iky said...

Great idea, a lot of help thanks! :)

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

I think The Happiness Project is a "must read" and it's a book that I'll definitely try to re-read it each year! Thanks for the recap on January's de-cluttering tips...much needed over here!

Shelley Jacobsen said...

Genius! Reading this book month by month is so ideal and what a great way to start the year! As much as organization can be cumbersome, it is needed in order to have organization in your life! I always say, clutter in the house, is clutter on the brain! Thanks for this Nancy!

The Simply Inspired Home said...

It looks like an amazing read, right up my alley! Thanks for sharing this Jewel Nancy!

Abigail's Place said...

Fab post, love how you have helped me to take the resolutions.
Definetly going to order that book!

Abigail x

Kathysue said...

Nancy I just ordered this book and I will get it and devour it!! For some reason 2012 feels as if it hold a lot of PROMISE for a great year!! xo Kathysue

David Toms said...

Happy New Year Nancy! Now if only I can get my partner to read this!

Gina@New England Home and Garden said...

Thank you SO much for sharing this book...I'm going to pick it up. I love the idea of a month to month outlook on things because it seems more realistic to making changes in life rather than an all at once approach.

Gabrielle | Savvy Home said...

I’ve been considering buying that book! I think you might have convinced me… Thanks for the good tips! :)

Lisa said...

I so love to de-clutter and organize. Nothing gets me more motivated than having a party, then the clutter really gets dealt with ;-)

The Sister Sophisticate said...

I have got to get this book! These tips are great!

LiveLikeYou said...

I almost want to say "you had me at hello"...that book. I must read it!! I'm consistently breaking all the first months tips!! Thank You for posting!! Will post your article on my facebook page!! xx

Stacy Curran said...

These tips are so great. I especially like number five. Those little things really add up, when it would have been so much easier to get them done one at a time! Great post!
Stacy

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Loved the book too! I've been through it a couple of times, and the organizing part was my favourite.

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Great post Nancy! I read the book and it was great. My downfall is my home office - hard to keep it organized but I'm working on it this month!

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Loved the Happiness Project. It made me feel like I'm not such an organizing nerd! Great post Nancy!

Catarina said...

Great tips, the book sounds really interesting. I'll definately be ordering it.
x

Andrea Johnson said...

This book is right up my alley! I need tips for my office. I procrastinate at doing admin stuff like sorting, and cleaning out my in box.

Andrea
xo

Maureen at The Inglenook Decor said...

Such a great post! Seriously needed this (simplified and kinder) kick in the rear to jumpstart my new year!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Great tips. It sounds like a great book.

The Pink Pagoda said...

I'm so happy I came across this post! You've shared some tips that I need to work on. And I clearly need to own that book! Thank you!

Danielle Hardy said...

This post has probably changed my life :) My hubs is ALWAYS after me to declutter. He would be so proud of this post :) Great practical tips. Thanks Nancy!!

Wegan said...

Great tips! It's always easy to feel great after a good tidy up and then it goes back to the same state next day..

M x

Andi's English Attic said...

Yesterday I took three years worth of glossy magazines to the recycle bin. I was torn because they were GLOSSY, but I hadn't looked at them after the first read and I can always use google images for any eye candy moments. New organised me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails