7.18.2010

{3 ways to decorate your console table}

Whether you have a console table adorning your entryway, or in any other room of your home, these tables can be a beautiful focal point! It can be a bit daunting trying to create the perfect vignette, and it’s a matter of personal taste, but it is important to keep in mind the balance, color, texture, and scale of the items you wish to display. Generally it is nice to include various heights, shapes, and sizes of objects. Here is a simple break down of 3 commonly used arrangements.

1. Seriously symmetrical:

Symmetrical arrangements often look more formal and organized and are probably the most straightforward to create. Our eyes are normally drawn to order and symmetry. These vignettes are often created using pairs of lamps, benches, or artwork hung in a balanced fashion {or a combination of all of these!}.


via The Zhush and Domino

This is one of my all-time favorites! I love all the white and grey, and the repetition of almost every item. If you know me, you’ll know this vignette is pulling on my oh-so-monochromatic heart strings.



Another favorite of mine; the benches, books and lamps are so perfectly balanced!


2. A little asymmetry:

Even though we are naturally drawn to symmetry, an asymmetrical arrangement can be just as intriguing! With a table vignette this is normally achieved by placing one tall item {most often a lamp} alongside several smaller items. I find this look keeps things from feeling too arranged, and a bit more like the items some how magically landed there!



Everything about this vignette seems effortlessly perfect. Peach dupioni silk? I die.


Here the lamp is quite tall on the right side, I like that books were used to add just enough height to the items on the left {a useful trick!}. I’ll take the bag and shoes if no one minds…



3. Cool collections:

A collection of items showcased together can make a powerful statement. Placing these items around a room can lessen their impact. I am particularly drawn to collections where objects grouped together are the same color but they differ in height and shape, it really adds visual interest.



The personal items on this console add such a nice touch, makes you feel like you get a glimpse into the life of the person who lives here.




This shell collection adds sculpture and texture. Notice the mix of shells, mirror, metal animal print, and wood. And I love the combo of symmetry with a cool collection!


These vignettes are all so inspirational to me. Which of the 3 types of arrangements is your favorite?

22 comments:

Dale at Hospitality Design Inspirations said...

Wow these are all so amazing!!! I wish I had a big entry hall that I could create awesome vignettes like this.
I'm personally usually a slave to symmetry. The first photo of Elizabeth Kimberly's (the one with the round white mirror)is STUNNING! However in general, I think when done right, asymmetrical is more interesting.

The Glam Lamb said...

amazing post! I got my inspiration from the Vanessa De Vargas console (the green one) http://theglamlamb.blogspot.com/2010/04/end-result.html
xo!

Karena said...

Ooh love Kelly w's image fabulous, many great examples!

Karena
Art by Karena

Marcus Design said...

Dale - I totally agree with you, I am most drawn to symmetry right now, and my own entry way is sporting the symmetrical look! Elizabeth Kimberly's is prob my fav {we have the same taste!}.

The Glamb Lamb/Hallie - I love your console table, and the shape/trim of the shades on your lamps are stunning!!
Nancy

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

For me, it's gotta me cool collections. All those blue vases? Yes, please! Fabulous post!

barbara@hodge:podge said...

Love the photos. I have collections on my console table, more like my husband dumps all his papers, keys, cellphone, etc all over the table. He is constantly moving the bowl I have back against the wall and I just plain give up! So I can only drool over these photos and dream!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

What a dilemma, I love them all. I thought I was a symmetry girl, but now I'm rethinking things.

thelennoxx said...

The loveliness! These vignettes are all so perfect, what a great post Nancy!

I love vignettes and even did a similar post earlier, see we share brains ;)

I generally prefer symmetry when it comes to decor and interiors, but definitely not in vignettes. I'm all for the collection-makes-impact strategy here!

xox Linda

The Zhush said...

These are all incredible! Hard to pick a fave, although I am really partial to the symmetry. Ironically, I just realized my own foyer has a round table with NO symmetry! Just a lamp, some books and some shells...hmmmm.

Lisa said...

Beautiful examples of consoles and arrangements! I definitely am drawn to asymmetrical arrangements. I love that they are not symmetrical but that placing objects a certain way causes the arrangement to be balanced.

DesignTies said...

This is a post that I'll have to bookmark, Nancy... it's terrific! As you know, I don't have an entry for a lovely credenza... but as my home comes together I'm sure other opportunities to create vignettes will present themselves!
Victoria

Sarah Klassen said...

So many lovely ideas here... I just adore Kelly's designs most of all -- she has taste that is just beyond!

Hope you're having a great week,

xo

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

Wow, this is such a great roundup! I've always leaned toward the asymmetrical but really like collections as well. And of course, down here in the South, symmetry rules. :)

Jen of Made By Girl said...

NANCY: Great post!
OMG...I love the Lonny one...I am definitely going to need to reference this post in the near future!

www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

DesignTies said...

I'm definitely an asymmetrical girl :-) Although I'm loving the symmetrical Elizabeth Kimberley vignettes -- they're stunning!!

I have to accessorize the new sideboard in our dining room, so this post is going to come in extremely handy!! Thanks for the inspiration :-)

Kelly

Punctuation Mark said...

these are some amazing images!!!! love the ones that have touches of yellow...

Karla {Kerrisdale Design Inc} said...

Great round up Nancy! I just adore the arrangement of mirrors and frames in that Phoebe Howard entry....so gorgeous. Love a symetrical entryway, though don't the asymetrical ones have such a lovely stylish, effortless feel?

Karla

Designwali said...

gorgeous images in this post! fantastic.

Brandi said...

I love all of them! I like to re-arrange things as the modd strikes so my console goes back and forth and I love it that way!

Kim Davies Inspired Lines said...

Wow - what a fantastic post! Thank you for this...it's so well thought out and constructed. The beautiful pop of colour in the Elizabeth Kimberly Design vignette is just so vibrant. How about that beautiful artwork in the Kelly Wearstler image? Everything is just gorgeous.
Kim
www.inspiredlines.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

I love the one you love by Eliz. Kimberley with the huge oval mirror centered. It is perfect.
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

laline said...

love the "cool collections" especially the last one with orange and black accents.

Related Posts with Thumbnails